Despite it’s tepid performance at the box office, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones producers have decided to move forward with the sequel, City of Ashes. The second film had originally been put on hold, and fans were unsure if we’d ever see it in the theater. Executive producer Martin Moskowicz had this to say on bringing the sequel to the big screen:
“The fan response, from the blogosphere and the thousands of mails we have received, has encouraged us to keep going,” Moszkowicz told The Hollywood Reporter. “It’s been overwhelmingly positive, in contrast to some other YA titles.”
“We are analyzing what we did wrong with the first film — particularly with the positioning and marketing — and what changes we have to make. We are working with a great group of people to reposition the franchise [for City of Ashes].”
Moszkowicz suggested one reason for City of Bones’ misfire may have been a marketing campaign that was too narrowly focused on teenage fans, to the detriment of Clare’s 20- and 30-something readers.
“The readers of Mortal Instruments are older than you might think,” he said. “That may have been one issue in our marketing, that we focused too much on a very young audience segment.”
Source: THR | Photo: Teen.com
Recently Godfrey Gao met up with our favorite movie nerd Joshua Horowitz, for a little onset interview.
WATCH -> MTV First Look: Magnus Bane
Can we talk about how tall Godfrey is?! Also, Godfrey-> Magnus? I think they picked the guy with the best name. Seriously How often do you meet people named Godfrey AND how often do you meet people named Magnus? Not that often!
I know I shouldn’t be shocked that this is Magnus’–Sorry– Godfrey’s first interview in English and not in Mandarin, but I am. I really thought his accent was Latin. I know, I know you’re all probably like “Hello, Jmac. Does he look Latin?!” And no, he doesn’t but I thought maybe he pulled a Paolo Nutini and his ethnicity is from one place and he was raised in, oh I don’t know, Madrid??
I am way off topic here. Anyways…
The best line out of that whole interview was:
“It’s really cold,” Godfrey said, all smiles. “At first, I was like, ‘All right, I thought this party was going to be an indoor mansion with a lot of lights and chandeliers like you see in back.’ Turns out, it’s outside, and it’s actually, I think, 11 degrees Celsius, so I’m just hanging out with my boxers on and everyone sees … I have great legs. But it’s very fun to play Magnus Bane, as you can see.”
This guy is great. If you all didn’t know, this is my number one favorite YA series which is totally funny ( in an ironic way). I am so stoked for this movie and with every new still or snippet I am more accepting of Jamie Campbell Bower as the character of Jace.
What do you think of Godfrey as Magnus?
Are you a connoisseur of movie trailers? I think one of the best parts about going to the movies is watching the movie trailers. If we are running late and miss the trailers, it totally ruins the mood for the rest of the movie. I love getting little snip-its of films that I hadn’t heard of before or haven’t seen a trailer, yet.
Last night my cousin, her friend and I decided to go see Warm Bodies. We loaded up on essentials first (Butterfingers, KitKat bar, Sour Patch kids, Cadburry eggs, Nutter Butters, Rasinets, Hot Tamales and ice cream–we don’t mess around). Which, we snuck in because, let’s be real, if we had bought the stuff at the movie theater our $15 dollar bill would have been close to $45. We made sure to get there just in time to grab the last remaining seats for optimal viewing pleasure, and sat down for the best part.
…and we were not let down. Summit/Lionsgate gave us some great trailers pre-Warm Bodies. It was a mixture of YA books turned movies, zombies, magic and dystopian films. Everything a girl could dream of! Here are the trailers our movie theater had:
The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
August 23, 2013
Side Note: I am so FREAKIN’ excited for this movie. This book series is one of my all time favorites!
February 14, 2013 (Coming soon!!)
World War Z
June 21, 2013
Tyler Perry’s Temptation
March 29, 2013
Kim K acts now??
June 28, 2013
April 19, 2013
Now You See Me
June 7, 2013
We were pretty happy with this line up. They were all very good movie trailers. Did you guys go to the movies last night? What trailers caught your eye?
As you may know, we here at justjmac are slightly…maybe…Ok we’re really excited for the upcoming book-to-movie The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.
We also really love the only good thing MTV has going for them, the journalist (and professional badass nerd) Joshua Horowitz (@JoshuaHorowitz).
Josh recently visited the set of TMI: City of Bones and it’s like a mixture of awesomeness.
To watch the set visit click on the picture below:
Last Thursday (September 6), the cast of City of Bones came together for a offical photo call. Pictured above from left to right are Robert Sheehan (Simon), Jamie Campbell Bower (Jace), Lily Collins (Clary), Kevin Zegers (Alec) and Jemima West (Isabelle). So, the underlying question is:
What do you think? Is this the league of shadow hunters you expected?
As a group, I’m impressed with casting and I’m excited as to what becomes of one of my favorite book series.
- Robert Sheehan owns up to what I pictured as Simon, tall, skinny, the fro… 😉 All in all, no issue with this casting. Can’t wait to see what he looks like later on in the series.
- Jamie Campbell Bower (JCB) Alright. I know A LOT of you are very upset with him. The excuses range from, “He looks nothing like Jace”, “He’s not buff enough”, “Jace is supposed to be hot” ect.. Let’s take a good hard look at him, shall we? He has buffed up immensely since casting. Jace’s character is supposed to be swoon worthy hot, and JCB is not as hot as the fan’s dream of Alex Pettyfer, but JCB fits the age. Jace is supposed to be a smart-alec. I can see Jamie taking full advantage of that. As for looking like Jace, go back and re-read, he looks exactly what Jace should look like.
“Jace is known for and has a strong title for his good looks. He is described as having fine, curly, golden blond hair and eyes that look gold in the light with long eyelashes. He has a slim, muscular build and is about 5’11” in height. His face is often described as being beautiful, sexy, gorgeous and angular and Clary often refers to him as beautiful and leonine, with a narrow mouth.”
- Lily Collins,(Clary) I don’t have one bad word for her. She is delicate, soft, beautiful, and I’m sure they can make her a bad-as* along with the rest of them. She has the fair skin, the red hair, and the slender body. You go Glen CoCo.
- Kevin Zegers,(Alec) alright, I’m not fond of this casting. BUT he will do brooding very well. I remember this gentlemen from Air Bud, and this could be my issue, but he has been in several Law and Orders, and has played a psyco and a drug dealer in Gossip Girl. We’ll see how he does as a gay, angsty shadow hunter. He also has a large head, but now I’m just being mean.
- Jemima West, as for her fellow castmates, I have yet to see her in anything. But she looks like Izzy. My hopes are high for this young lady.
I’m super-duper excited for this movie! I pray they do it justice!
Tentative release date: August 23, 2013
Source: The Shadowhunters Wiki , MTV